Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Osaka Travels

I took a short weekend (3 days actually) and visited Osaka, Japan... well, I did not go to see Osaka; primarily I went to see Leah. Regardless the weather was on/off rain so we decided to take advantage of the non-rainy times and get out of the hotel.

Leah's new hotel is along the river so we decided we would follow the river walk towards Osaka Castle. It turned out to be a bit further than the map made it look, but the weather was good and the company splendid... so we enjoyed.

We didn't really know what to expect and or find; so thankfully at the "start" of the river walk there are some directions and guides.

We kind of took a wrong turn and landed off the river walk... we realized when we looked back and saw the island and City Hall. But regardless it was off towards the castle.

The castle can be seen just peaking between the trees. The castle is built and a pseudo island and is surrounded by water as well as a secondary dry moat. I am sure that historically the moat gave added protection; however now it just adds to the photos with some beautiful reflections.

There are 4 entrances... we only went in one which was on the side of the castle.
I really like these type of tree and they make cool photos because they seem unreal... at least to a Midwestern guy.

Up close the castle is still pretty impressive.
Complete with it's own (historic??) elevator in the corner.

We then went around back and out the equivalent of the back-door. I think a lot of this exit was modified to allow for service vehicle entrance.

Either way, the back-side was very quiet and peaceful. People were running and fishing and two guys seemed to be practicing some dance moves. Other people (and animals) were just lounging and sleeping away the afternoon... it looked like a good idea!


Nearly sunset reflection... the air and water sure got still.

Our return walk actually made it through the rose garden that we were attempting to walk through on the way out. It worked out better that we "saved" it for the end as we stopped for a snack and a drink and ended up having a full dinner at the Riverside Grill & Beer Garden!

The Osaka City Hall makes better evening photos with the accent lighting and coloring. It is kind of funny to me to see this building and know it is the City Hall; I am so used to the government buildings in China which are huge... makes it nice to know that government isn't so huge in Japan.

Many of the bridges across the river are both functional and decorative... looks like the water may be a little at this time.

Oh yes, the Japanese are crazy polite. Even to the point that they have open air smoking zones along the streets... which just happen to be called "Manner Spot". Refreshing, but almost too polite I think!